Monday, June 23, 2014

Celebrating Nick Drake's birthday (with birthday guests!)

Had my kids come down June 19 to the station to sit in on the show which was fun. They picked a few tracks and I used the sound off their video games as a bed for announcements.

I played an okay Nick Drake cover and had a caller ask for some real Nick Drake because it was his birthday! I'm an avid Nick Drake fan -- at the top is the picture I took in 2000 of his "shroud" which was on display in a record store in Dublin. So I just had to dedicate an entire set for Drake. Here was the complete setlist:

Boards of Canada music is math
john lurie freezing guitar
Monkey Mafia Ward 10
Buckethead Speed Flux Quadrant
Eskimo Happy Home
Hans Reichel Le Bal
Tom Lehrer Poisoning Pigeons in the Park
MGMT Future Games
Daniel Johnston True Love WIll Find You IN THe End
Anna Kendricks Cups (Pitch Perfect's "When I'm Gone"
Scott Matthews Place To Be
David Bowie The Bewlay Brothers
Joanna Newsom Peach, Plum, Pear
Dj Qbert Redworm
Science is Fun
DJ Spooky and Karsh Kale Variation Cybernetique rmx
C418 Minecraft
Nick Drake Way to Blue
Nick Drake Things Behind the Sun
Nick Drake One of These Things First
Lisa Hannigan At the Chime of the City Clock
Nick Drake Hanging on a Star
Lucinda Williams Which WIll
Nick Drake From the Morning
Mr. Scruff Feel free
Napolian Incursio
Sam Amidon He's Taken My Feet
Linda Perhacs Intensity
The Eels Mistakes of My Youth
Chad Van Gaalen Cut off My Hands
The War on Drugs Red Eyes
Wye Oak Before
Blk Jks Zol!
Caetano Veloso Terra
Gashcat Til the Morning Comes
Death We Are Only People

There will be a sub for me on June 26, but I'll be back July 3rd. Have been working on a setlist of marshy, boggy, swampy, moist, mushy, fungus songs. Probably fantastical, so psychedic/progressive rock would probably work pretty well. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment