Friday, July 18, 2014

Back to the Afrofuture

I had asked for some assistance with an Afrofuturist set from my friend Mike, but he didn't get back to me in time (in truth I gave only a couple of days). But after the last show he sent me a list of 103 songs I could use! So I needed to revisit it.

I mostly used his setlist. I made specific rules for which songs I would use (play them in order, don't play an artist I did last week, only one song per artist, etc.) and then through the rules out the window once I became desperate to find the next track. I need to work on my music sleuthing skills -- I often find bands I like to be in between two categories -- seems like Funkadelic should be in Rock and Parliament in Soul/R+B? Or what about the folk rock I like -- which category? What is experimental and what is electronic? I often wish we could just categorize all music together alphabetically and be done with it.

So here's my setlist for my July 17 show, which is basically all Mike:

 Brides of Funkenstein  Mother May I?
 The Jackson Five  Dancing Machine
 Sly and the Family Stone  Spaced Cowboy
 Miles Davis  Sanctuary
 Alice Coltrane  Radhe-Shyam
 Herbie Hancock  Ostinato (Suite for Angela)
 McCoy Tyner  fly with the wind
 Lee Scratch Perry & Full Experience  Disco Devil
 King Tubby  African Roots
 Culture  Black Starliner Must Come
 Earth Wind & Fire  Fantasy
 Herbie Hancock  Rockit
 Model 500  Milky Way
 Newcleus  Jam On It
 Digable Planets  TIme & Space (A New Refutation Of)
 bernie worrell  flex
 De La Soul  Transmitting Live From Mars
 theesatisfaction  eathseed
 janelle monae  BabopbyeYa
 DJ Spooky  Anansi's Gambit
 Flying Lotus  Do The Atral Plane
 zomby  mozaik
 Flying Lotus  Computer Face/Pure Being
 Funkadelic  Electric Spanking of War Babies
 Funkadelic  Eulogy and Light
 Marvin Gaye  A Funky Space Reincarnation
 labelle  black holes in the sky
 blood sweat and tears  ride captain ride
 TV on the Radio  Satellite
 Sun Ra  Astro Black


No comments:

Post a Comment